Rancho Cucamonga Hit & Run Accident Lawyer
Have You Been The Victim Of A Hit And Run?
While being injured in a car collision is never a pleasant experience, being the victim of a hit-and-run driver can be particularly aggravating. Apart from the fundamental failure of every hit-and-run driver to be a decent person, they take advantage of victims in other ways. And this is true whether the victims are motorists, pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists.
Many victims require immediate medical care. Failure of hit-and-run drivers to provide or call in immediate care means that parties that could survive might not survive. Further, injuries which may be relatively minor can end up being critical.
If left without help, individuals hurt or left unconscious due to traffic accidents can be subjected to additional hazards. The victim is vulnerable to approaching vehicles, exposure to weather, excessive blood loss, or a leaking gas tank. Further, victims may be elderly, or might include infants and toddlers, or people with pre-existing disabilities that require special care.
Why Do Drivers Leave The Scene Of A Car Accident?
There are a number of reasons drivers take off after a crash in the Rancho Cucamonga area:
- Some motorists may be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and they are afraid of a DUI charge.
- They might also fear being charged with other vehicle crimes associated with causing injury or death while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Some drivers may be so intoxicated that they do not even know that they have caused an accident, and drive off unaware of the chaos or devastation they are causing.
- Other drivers may flee because they are driving without a license, driving without registration, or driving without insurance.
- Some might be driving a stolen car, or they may be wanted by the police for another offense, like an outstanding warrant.
- Others are simply fearful about what they have done, and are afraid to deal with the repercussions.
What Do I Do After A Hit-And-Run Crash?
- Call 911 and make a police report
- Take photos of your car as well as of the scene of the collision, and try to find evidence to help authorities
- Take down witness info from anybody at the scene that witnessed what took place
- Seek medical attention if needed, and do not decline an ambulance ride if hurt
- Get in touch with a Rancho Cucamonga hit-and-run lawyer for your accident, and do this before you call your auto insurance provider
Getting Compensation For Your Damages
Getting into an auto accident is stressful, but a hit and run car accident can leave a person feeling even more stressed out. You need to be able to locate the person who hit you in order to sue them. However, with a good hit-and-run attorney you can pursue an uninsured motorist claim against your own insurance provider. In this kind of claim, your auto provider steps into the shoes of the hit and run motorist and pays on the claim.
When it involves receiving compensation for your damages, you can recuperate damages in two categories: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages cover monetary costs related to your case, like medical bills (such as an ambulance ride, doctor's visits, hospital visits, surgery costs, mental and physical therapy, and visits to specialists). Economic damages also include any income you may have lost and will continue to lose while you're recovering from your injury due to missed work.
Non-economic damages pertain to damages that don't have a particular monetary value associated with them yet still "cost" the victim something. This includes compensation for pain and suffering, loss of earning ability, loss of consortium, and compensation for permanent disability or disfigurement.
Punitive damages can come into play if the at fault motorist is located. This is a third category of damages that are granted as a way to penalize the at-fault party for being grossly negligent. While these damages are very rare in a car crash case, they are handed out to prevent the at-fault party from doing the same act again in the future. Punitive damages are usually granted in situations in which an individual was grossly negligent, like causing a collision because they were really intoxicated. Once again, punitive damages are incredibly rare in motor vehicle accident cases and are generally reserved for defective drug cases or product liability cases.
Legal Assistance For Hit-And-Run Victims
It is bad enough to be a victim of a reckless and careless motorist; do not let yourself become a victim again. It is vital that you seek legal advice as soon as possible after a hit-and-run accident. Over time, crucial evidence can be lost or destroyed. Witnesses may forget important information, or you may not be able to find them. Furthermore, there are occasionally insurance policy notice deadlines to meet.
A Rancho Cucamonga hit-and-run accident attorney at First Law Group can help you to get the recovery to which you are entitled, whether that means going after an at-fault party or your own insurer. We understand what your rights are with respect to the law and your own insurance provider.
At First Law Group, we really care about our community and we are driven by our passion for clients. Our personal injury lawyers in Rancho Cucamonga, California are always available to take your call. For a Free Consultation, call us at (626) 888-8264, or visit our website: FirstLG.com