Glendora Hit & Run Accident Lawyer
Have You Been The Victim Of A Hit and Run?
While being injured in a car collision is never a pleasant experience, being the victim of a hit-and-run driver can be especially frustrating. Besides the fundamental failure of every hit-and-run driver to be a decent human being, they victimize victims in other ways. And this is true whether the victims are drivers, pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists.
A lot of injured parties need immediate medical care. Failure of hit-and-run drivers to provide or call in immediate care means that individuals that could survive may not survive. Furthermore, injuries which might be relatively minor can become critical.
If left without help, parties injured or left unconscious as a result of traffic accidents can be subjected to further dangers. The victim is vulnerable to oncoming cars, exposure to weather, excessive blood loss, or a leaking fuel tank. Further, victims might be elderly, or might include babies and young children, or people with pre-existing disabilities who require special care.
Why Do Motorists Leave The Scene Of A Car Crash?
There are a number of reasons drivers flee after a collision in the Glendora area:
- Some drivers might be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and they fear a DUI charge.
- They may also be afraid of being charged with other auto criminal offenses associated with causing injury or fatality while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Some motorists might be so intoxicated that they do not even realize that they have caused an accident, and drive away unaware of the havoc or destruction they are causing.
- Other motorists might take off because they are driving without a license, driving without registration, or driving without insurance.
- Some may be driving a stolen vehicle, or they might be wanted by the police for another offense, like an outstanding warrant.
- Others are just scared about what they have done, and are afraid to deal with the consequences.
What Do I Do After A Hit-And-Run Collision?
- Call 911 and make a police report
- Take pictures of your car and of the scene of the crash, and look for evidence to assist authorities
- Take down witness information from anyone at the scene who saw what took place
- Get medical attention if needed, and do not refuse an ambulance ride if injured
- Contact a Glendora hit-and-run attorney for your accident, and do this before you contact your car insurance provider
Receiving Compensation For Your Damages
Getting into a car accident is upsetting, but a hit and run car accident can leave a person feeling even more stressed out. You need to be able to locate the person who hit you in order to sue them. However, with a good hit-and-run lawyer you can seek an uninsured motorist claim against your own insurance provider. In this type of claim, your auto provider steps into the shoes of the hit and run driver and pays on the claim.
When it involves getting compensation for your damages, you can recuperate damages in two types: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages cover monetary expenditures related to your case, like medical expenses (such as an ambulance ride, doctor's appointments, hospital visits, surgery costs, mental and physical therapy, and visits to specialists). Economic damages also include any wages you might have lost and will continue to lose while you're recovering from your injury because of missed work.
Non-economic damages refer to damages that don't have a particular monetary value linked to them but still "cost" the victim something. This includes compensation for pain and suffering, loss of earning ability, loss of consortium, and compensation for long-lasting disability or disfigurement.
Punitive damages might come into play if the responsible driver is found. This is a third category of damages that are awarded as a way to punish the at-fault driver for being grossly negligent. While these damages are very uncommon in a car collision case, they are handed out to prevent the at-fault party from committing the same act again in the future. Punitive damages are normally awarded in scenarios in which a person was grossly negligent, like causing a crash because they were very intoxicated. Again, punitive damages are very uncommon in car accident cases and are typically reserved for defective drug cases or product liability cases.
Legal Support For Hit-And-Run Victims
It is bad enough to be a victim of a reckless and negligent motorist; do not let yourself become a victim again. It is important that you get legal assistance as soon as possible after a hit-and-run accident. With time, important evidence can be lost or ruined. Witnesses might forget important information, or you may not be able to find them. Further, there are occasionally insurance policy notification deadlines to meet.
A Glendora hit-and-run accident attorney at First Law Group can help you to acquire the compensation to which you are entitled, whether that means going after an at-fault party or your own insurance company. We understand what your rights are with respect to the law and your own insurer.
At First Law Group, we really care about our community and we are driven by our passion for clients. Our personal injury lawyers in Glendora, California are always available to take your call. For a Free Consultation, call us at (626) 888-8264, or visit our website: FirstLG.com