Pomona Hit & Run Accident Attorney
Have You Been The Victim Of A Hit And Run?
While being injured in a car accident is never a pleasant experience, being the victim of a hit-and-run driver can be especially frustrating. Aside from the fundamental failure of every hit-and-run driver to be a decent person, they take advantage of victims in other ways. And this is true whether the victims are drivers, pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists.
A lot of injured parties require immediate medical care. Failure of hit-and-run drivers to render or call in immediate care means that parties that could survive may not survive. Further, injuries which might be fairly minor can end up being critical.
If left without help, people injured or left unconscious as a result of traffic accidents can be subjected to additional dangers. The victim is vulnerable to approaching vehicles, exposure to weather, excessive blood loss, or a leaking gas tank. Futhermore, victims may be elderly, or might include infants and young children, or people with pre-existing disabilities that require special care.
Why Do Motorists Leave The Scene Of A Car Crash?
There are a number of reasons motorists take off after a crash in the Pomona area:
- Some motorists might be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and they fear a DUI charge.
- They may also fear being charged with other auto crimes associated with causing injury or death while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Some drivers may be so inebriated that they do not even realize that they have caused an accident, and drive off oblivious of the chaos or devastation they are causing.
- Other drivers might flee because they are driving without a license, driving without registration, or driving without insurance.
- Some may be driving a stolen car, or they may be wanted by the law for some other crime, like an outstanding warrant.
- Others are just scared about what they have done, and are afraid to face the repercussions.
What Do I Do After A Hit-And-Run Crash?
- Call 911 and make a police report
- Take photos of your vehicle as well as of the scene of the collision, and look for evidence to assist police
- Note witness info from anybody at the scene that witnessed what occurred
- Get medical attention if needed, and do not refuse an ambulance ride if wounded
- Get in touch with a Pomona hit-and-run lawyer for your accident, and do this before you call your car insurance carrier
Receiving Compensation For Your Damages
Getting involved in an auto accident is stressful, but a hit and run car accident can leave an individual feeling even more stressed out. You need to be able to find the individual who hit you in order to sue them. However, with a good hit-and-run attorney you can seek an uninsured motorist claim against your own insurance carrier. In this kind of claim, your auto provider steps into the shoes of the hit and run motorist and pays on the claim.
When it involves receiving compensation for your damages, you can recuperate damages in two types: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages cover financial costs associated with your claim, like medical expenses (such as an ambulance ride, doctor's visits, hospital visits, surgery costs, mental and physical therapy, and visits to specialists). Economic damages also include any income you might have lost and will continue to lose while you're recovering from your injury due to missed work.
Non-economic damages refer to damages that don't have a specific monetary value associated with them but still "cost" the victim something. This includes compensation for pain and suffering, loss of earning capacity, loss of consortium, and compensation for long-term disability or disfigurement.
Punitive damages could come into play if the responsible motorist is located. This is a third category of damages that are awarded as a way to penalize the at-fault party for being grossly negligent. While these damages are really rare in a car accident case, they are handed out to prevent the at-fault driver from doing the same act again in the future. Punitive damages are normally granted in circumstances in which an individual was grossly negligent, like causing a collision because they were very intoxicated. Once again, punitive damages are incredibly uncommon in car accident cases and are generally reserved for defective drug cases or product liability cases.
Legal Support For Hit-And-Run Victims
It is bad enough to be a victim of a reckless and careless driver; do not let yourself become a victim again. It is important that you seek legal assistance as soon as possible after a hit-and-run accident. Over time, important evidence can be lost or destroyed. Witnesses might fail to remember vital details, or you may not be able to find them. Furthermore, there are occasionally insurance policy notice deadlines to meet.
A Pomona hit-and-run accident attorney at First Law Group can help you to receive the compensation to which you are entitled, whether that means pursuing an at-fault party or your own insurer. We know what your rights are with respect to the law and your own insurance provider.
At First Law Group, we really care about our community and we are driven by our passion for clients. Our personal injury lawyers in Pomona, California are always available to take your call. For a Free Consultation, call us at (626) 888-8264, or visit our website: FirstLG.com