Pomona Wrongful Death Attorney
Has A Loved One Suffered A Wrongful Death In Pomona?
Some of the injury claims our law firm handles involve a death caused by a negligent party. If an individual has died in an accident, the family members of the deceased are probably entitled to compensation for their tragic loss. You will need the assistance of an experienced Pomona wrongful death lawyer. The attorneys at First Law Group fight for accident and injury victims and their families everyday. They may be able to help you obtain compensation for your loss.
A wrongful death is where the negligence or carelessness of a person or company are responsible for a casualty. The law in California recognizes that when one person's actions cost another his or her life, the responsible person must be legally liable to pay damages to the victim's family. This means that when a loved one is killed in an accident, the surviving family members might be entitled to bring a civil case against those responsible for the accident.
Common Types Of Cases That Lead To Wrongful Death
A few of the most common types of situations that lead to wrongful death are car accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When An Automobile Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a loved one to a car accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you should do next when you are so early in the mourning process. However, some individuals report that filing a claim helped to provide comfort since they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death claim means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased family member.
A car accident that leads to a wrongful death can leave a family with significant stress and anxiety about repaying medical bills, managing funeral costs, and losing earnings from a primary provider. First Law Group can help to guarantee that you get the compensation that you are entitled to for medical expenses, lost income, loss of consortium, as well as pain and suffering.
Wrongful death because of a motor vehicle accident can occur at the scene of the accident or later when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although fatal motor vehicle accidents are oftentimes caused by intoxicated motorists, distracted drivers, and speeding, virtually any kind of car accident can cause a deadly crash. Some of the most common injuries from automobile accidents that later result in wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one dies from complications because of their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. As such, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Caused By Slip And Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are seldom considered a deadly type of accident. However, this is just not true. Slips and falls can be fatal, particularly if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.
Slips and falls can occur practically anywhere. However, some of the most prevalent locations where slip and falls occur that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and workplaces. The way your wrongful death claim will be sought is different depending on where the accident occurred. For instance, cases against large commercial companies differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that take place at a private residence.
Slips and falls can also be deadly when they happen to an elderly person. A slip and fall can place significant pressure on an older person that they might never recuperate from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you need to be bedridden for a long period of time, your chances of recovering completely are much slimmer. In fact, falls are the leading source of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number appears to be increasing.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most frequently lead to fatalities include:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or flaws with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to harmful substances or environments
- Accidents caused by poor training
In these instances, determining if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident happened. If your loved one died due to negligent conduct of a worker from a different company, that worker or that other company can be held liable for damages. However, generally if a death or injury happens at the workplace or while the worker is "on the clock", the case would fall under workers' compensation.
Wrongful Death Because Of Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death because of medical malpractice is among the trickier case types in personal injury law. Considering this, you want to make sure you have an experienced attorney on your side when you're handling medical malpractice of any kind.
Medical malpractice that can result in a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from medical facility
- Incorrect medication or dose
- Surgical mistake
- Improper diagnosis or missed diagnosis
- Birth injury
If someone you love died because of the negligence of a physician, nurse, or healthcare center, contact one of our medical malpractice lawyers at First Law Group right away so we can begin to investigate and build your case.
Compensation In A Wrongful Death Case
Family members may be entitled to recoup for several kinds of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Pomona, including:
- The pain, suffering and grief of the surviving family members– There is not a harder time in life than when you lose somebody you love. The feelings and pain you might experience can be unbearable. We realize that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. However, the loved ones have a right to a monetary recuperation for the pain of experiencing this tragic experience.
- Funeral expenses– Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur substantial expense for a funeral. Part of this law firm's role will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and expenses– In a lot of wrongful death cases, the medical costs prior to passing away can be extremely expensive. Commonly, billing might exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will work to recover those expenses from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium– You have a right to recover for the loss of no longer getting to spend and enjoy time with your family member.
- Loss of the future earnings of the deceased– Oftentimes the family member that passed away was earning income. Family members were relying on that loved one to support the household. They have a right to recuperate that loss of future earnings. If needed, our law firm can retain an economist to establish what amount your loved one would have made throughout the remainder of their life.
- Punitive damages– During a wrongful death claim, attorneys will decide whether it is appropriate to ask for leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the case. Punitive damages are meant to penalize the at fault party for intentional and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Case Consultation
No amount of money can adequately compensate an accident victim's family after a fatality caused by negligence or recklessness. However, these family members deserve financial relief that is provided under local and state laws. After an accident, several families decide to consult with a wrongful death lawyer in Pomona to find out whether they have a case.
The type of accident can affect what options of recovery are available to a family and how soon those cases must be sought. For these reasons, it is a good idea to pursue legal counsel as soon as possible after a fatality.
If you believe a negligent party may have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Pomona area, Contact us for a free wrongful death case consultation or call (626) 888-8264 to talk with a wrongful death lawyer in Pomona.
At First Law Group, we really care about our community and we are driven by our passion for clients. Our personal injury lawyers in Pomona, California are always available to take your call. For a Free Consultation, call us at (626) 888-8264, or visit our website: FirstLG.com